May 15, 2019

Formal Letter Of Introduction

For this assignment we had to write a letter to our professor discussing our major and career goals

Nabeel Butt

2/3/19

City College of New York

160 Convent Avenue

New York, 10031

Dear, Ms. Rodwell

My name is Nabeel Butt and my major is civil engineering. As for my career goal, I would like to one day become a structural engineer at an engineering company. However, this is a goal that is far ahead in the future, and as for now I am simply focused on graduating college. I am currently a freshman in my second semester of college. I have heard from my elders that the curriculum is quite difficult and should not be taking lightly. Ever since I was young I always enjoyed challenges and engineering is another challenge I would like to scratch off my bucket list. The reason I would like to pursue a degree in civil engineering is due to the fact that this type of engineering runs in my family. My father was a contractor and I always had a fascination with buildings ever since I was young, because I was exposed to this type of work at a young age. Furthermore, I have two older brothers and the oldest is already a civil engineer. The brother in the middle is one semester away from obtaining his degree for civil engineering. As for dreams, I would say my biggest one is that one day I own a construction company along with my two brothers after we have all acquired success in our respective fields. The field of engineering will play a pivotal role in my future because it would be my career. I would like to thrive at my future profession and to do that I would have to make engineering a focal point in my life. I believe that there is no problem an engineer cannot solve. Engineering has been around since ancient times and will always be required in a society for it to survive. The future has unknown potential problems, however for my specific field I will use a gigantic earthquake as an example. Let us say that in the future there was a devastating earthquake which destroyed an entire city and collapsed all of its buildings. Although, I wouldn’t be able to prevent the earthquake completely I would be able to assist in the reconstruction of the city. Personally, I believe the field of engineering along with the field of medical science are the two most important branches of education. Engineering seemed to be a perfect fit for me because I always had interest in mathematics as well as science. As a youth, I excelled in these topics of study and I grew to appreciate the topics. As I grew older I learned that engineering was a mixture of both fields into a new type of field of study. This intrigued me immediately and my mind was made ever since then. I know that it will be a tough road to graduate but I look forward to embracing the long study sessions and difficult material. This is due to the fact that I know when everything is said and done I will earn my degree and make my parents proud.

Sincerely,

Nabeel Butt